Burglary, theft, motor vehicle theft, and robbery are four of the seven crimes that increased in number of offenses in Chicago from 2007 to 2008, according to figures provided by the Chicago Police Department. The three other crimes that also increased are murder, violent crimes, and property crimes.
The numbers are staggering, and although 2009 figures are not available, hard economic times coupled with a smaller Chicago police force may contribute to higher retail crime numbers this holiday season. Uniformed retail security officers provide a strong deterrent for retail theft. Here are five reasons why your business should hire a security guard firm to protect your assets:
- Theft and shoplifting are deterred by security officers. There were more than 112,000 burglaries and thefts in Chicago in 2008 and nearly 8,500 were committed in December alone! Visible security officers will prompt criminals to find another location to commit a crime.
- Uniformed security roaming parking area protects customers and their vehicles. Of the nearly 19,000 motor vehicle thefts reported in Chicago in 2008, about 1,200 of them occurred in December. Retail parking lots are not only great targets for motor vehicle thefts because of the coming and going of customers, but merchandise in the vehicles provide an added incentive for criminals to target your parking lot.
- The holiday shopping season brings criminals who target shoppers through purse thefts. Though Americans in general have become more aware to keep their belongings close to them while shopping, a uniformed police officer will help create a safer, more relaxed environment for your shoppers to enjoy.
- The holiday shopping season draws pickpockets, which would be deterred by security presence. Men and women alike are prone to criminals during the holiday season. Pickpockets have mastered the art of removing valuables without a victim noticing until it is too late.
- Uniformed security officers deter all crime against clients and customers and reassures customers of a safe shopping environment. As a society, more and more people are becoming desperate for a quick fix. As the economy continues to slide, crime in unprotected areas has become a popular area for criminals to target.
Before your business becomes part of next year's statistics, hire Chicago's premiere security firm—Intellex Security—for the sake and safety of your customers this holiday season. Contact us by calling (773) 735-6666.